Friday, May 27, 2005

The Hardest Part...

In creating a web page set is finding the right font. I spent the better part of the afternoon looking at a few font archive sites and a type foundry for the font to use with a frames set I want to release before the end of the month. I found a few and downloaded a lot, but I'm not sure which one to use yet.

You want the font you choose to convey the mood or the theme of the set. Deciding whether or not it should be a script or serif or sans serif or even a grungy font takes me awhile. Sometimes a set will "tell" me what the font should be; sometimes not. Sometimes I look at tons of fonts before deciding on one. The one thing I don't have installed on my computer is a type manager. It's software that will show the fonts I have using a sample of the font so that I can compare them.

Well, I got tired of looking at fonts so I headed over to one of my favorite games site and wasted away the rest of the afternoon. So much for working on the set.

When I get the set uploaded or maybe even before then, there will be another downloadable font on my site. It seems that Disturbed Type will be closing its site sometime soon and the creator, Matt Petty, is offering his fonts as public domain. What that means is I can now offer his fonts for download myself. His fonts have always been usable for personal or commercial projects, but it was free linkware. It's a shame he's taking down his shingle. Another original foundry bites the dust.

The font I'll offer for download is "Trash" and it's available in both PC TTF (.zip file) and for the Mac (.hqx file). "Trash" is used on the double border set, "Devon Rocks." Look for the font download on the Resources page soon.

No comments: